In 2016, Betahaus asked us to develop a basic Workshop on WordPress to teach members about coworking. The movement was called “Members teach Members”. In this scenario, Víctor Santacreu prepared a workshop defined in two masterclasses: 2 days, four hours by day. The workshop is divided into 25% theory and 75% of practice. 34 students.
We prepared a presentation divided into two days.
The skeleton was:
- What is WordPress and what is it for?
- Installation environment
- Download and Configuration of a theme. What is a theme?
- What is a plugin
- Widgets: what are and their function
- Navigation menus
- Pages, Posts, differences between them – also categories and tags-
- Shortcodes: what are and examples
- User management and roles
- Creation of forms: using a plugin
- FrontPage / HomePage: the difference between them and what is for
- Improve performance: cache plugin and technical explanation
- Web upload to production
On the first day of the workshop, we taught the first 9 points.
The students are interested in How to install WordPress, what are the differences between posts and pages? We learned a lot about themes, installed one and configured it. We explained what and why plugins are important and also a little bit of the history of WordPress.
The elementals concepts of this class: WordPress, posts, pages, categories, tags, plugins, widgets.
Historia de wordpress @betahausbcn con @morktadela pic.twitter.com/t3waFr6keR
— Ebavs (@ebavs) October 5, 2016
The second day was a little more complex and difficult.
We explained what’s the difference between Homepage and Frontpage, configure both of them and put it online altogether. We continue on the basis of caching and why is good how to measure page speed and we see a difference between load page without cache and with a cache.
Cache speed wordpress by @morktadela at @betahausbcn pic.twitter.com/2YhcbdU3Rx
— Ebavs (@ebavs) October 6, 2016
Finally, we move our project to production: migration BBDD, upload to real.
Thanks a lot for this opportunity Betahaus, was really amazing to teach people and learn from them.